Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So many big-girl things!

The most exciting news lately... our girls are growing up!!! Olive has decided to get two front teeth on the bottom (which I cannot get a picture of because she is so stingy with her smiles!), and Emma has decided to ride her bike without training wheels!!!!!!! BIG GIRLS THINGS! Olive's teeth have been coming in for a couple of weeks, and I think she handled it pretty well, just a couple of doses of Tylenol, a few teething tablets, and they were in. Emma, on the other hand was a little bit faster on the whole learning to ride with two wheels on her bike. Monday afternoon we went for a bike ride/walk and her training wheels were so bent she had to lean to the side of her bike! I suggested she just take off the training wheels. She told me she wasn't ready. No biggie, she is only going to be 5 in a few weeks. But, as I was leaving to meet all the neighborhood women (10 all together that night!) for dinner, I told Elliott about it. As I was leaving the training wheels were coming off, and when I got home two hours later I saw the video of her riding on her own!!!!!!! She still needs a little help getting on and off/stopping, but she is ALL on her own. So many milestones this spring, it is so exciting to see her accomplish things and to feel so proud of herself! Love it...
Our quirky girl LOVES icicles, and found this giant one in her sled a couple of weeks ago - she saved it in the freezer and ate on it for a few days!
I took the girls to go visit my Dad and Jackie in Michigan finally (it had been two years!), and as always it was wonderful to be there. Nana is amazing with babies, so it is always so comforting to see her interplay with Olive.
Papa and Olive - only took a couple of days for her to get used to him, I suppose it helped that I was around the whole time? In general, she is not a fan of men!
Papa and Nana live on a pond and feed the ducks and birds daily, so Emma HAD to ge the binoculars out and check every few minutes to see what was out there. Actually, she became obsessed with them the third day we were there! They came with us to the store and to the butterfly museum/arboretum.
Olive investigating one of the butterfly's, in Nana's arms. Of course Olive was pretty mellow and went along with the flow, allowing Nana to hold her a good portion of the time that we looked at butterflies.
My mom has Olive two days a week when I am working, and took these beautiful images of Olive at 5 months. I think they are just stunning! Too bad Emma put a sticker on Olive's leg in the top one!
I know I am just a little biased, but I think she is a beauty!
I have given Olive cereal a couple of times now, and of course Emma wants to help! She is such a little mom, it is a bit overwhelming to say the least, even though I know she means so well! I swear she would stay at home with Olive if we let her. Olive isn't quite sure what to think of the food, and I am in no hurry! Isn;t that terrible? It just means one more thing I need to do in the day - silly, huh? I better get going though, she will be 6 months before I know it.
Poor Goldie finally died. He was a Koi that we had for a good 9 months (that's a long time in our house!!!). He was a meanie, however, and I glad he is gone and that we can put the fish tank in storage - don't tell. Anyway, we had to have a burial for him. Emma and Elliott gave a little eulogy and prayer! The neighbor girls helped out - there are 19 kids in 8 houses, 2 baby's on the way, 5 kids moving in next door, and a good 8 houses left to be built on our street!!!!!
Emma had to say a few words...
Olive and I spend a lot of time on the front porch while Emma plays with the kids. Somehow the norm here is for the parents to sit out in the driveways while ALL of the kids play up and down the street! We are so lucky to have moved in here!
Look at those cheeks!!!!!!
I am choreographing the flying monkeys for the ballet The Wizard of Oz, on Sunday evenings, so Elliott has the girls for a couple of hours. Here he is getting ready to take Olive over to the neighbor's for a little outdoor b-day party. She could not figure out who was holding her and would crane her head all the way back to try and see! She usually cries for Elliott the whole time I am gone, but she is SLOWLY changing her ways!
More to come... Love to all....

2 comments:

Holly said...

Good job Emma! Olive is adorable as ever. I'm so jealous of your neighborhood!!! My neighborhood is full of mostly older couples. Maybe if we live here long enough they will move out and young families will move in?!? I was so hoping for a neighborhood with young families when we moved to the suburbs...oh well, at least my SIL Emily lives only 5 minutes away.

Mom said...

hi tried to leave comments on at least 10 occasions and I can't make out the 2 words correctly--I love the pics--will try one more time to see if i can leave a comment.